Thursday, May 6, 2010

Green Shopping

Last March, we participated during the global 'Earth Hour'. This year marks the second time we've taken part in this event.
The house was so dark; we had a candle lit dinner. Our dogs wondered why the house was so quiet. No TV and no cellphones. Yes, we also turned our cellphones off. Anything and everything that uses electricity/power were turned off.
It was our way of giving back to the environment.

Moving on.
I was out with friends the other day, we had coffee and decided to look around at the nearest shopping center. I saw this nice pair of slippers. I didn't really need them. But as a person who likes to shop, I bought it anyway.
I decided to just put what I had purchased inside my bag. The reason why, I don't like the plastic bag they were gonna use. Well, the place was not necessarily a "mall''. So they don't have personalized paper bags.
Then, this idea came to me, I should decline from having my 'purchase/s' put in a plastic bag. I should just put them inside my bag. I have quite a few big-fashion bags perfect for this. In fact I have many of them that seldom use and I don't have to explain that.
I think this 'concept' would not only minimize my shopping activities but also stops me from using 'plastic' materials.
So, today I made sure that I brought one of my bags that hasn't been used in awhile before I head to the mall.

(click on the picture for better view)

As you can see, I stuffed my purchases ( a Hugo Boss casual shoes and my first pair of 'Rock & Republic') inside my bag instead of having them bagged. My mom will probably be 'unhappy' if she learned that I did not take the paper bags. She likes designer labels' paper bags.
By the way, it is my first pair of R&R Jeans. I am not a fan, am just gonna give it a try.
I am however, a BIG fan of 'True Religion Brand Jeans'. I have at least a dozen pair of jeans from this brand. But we are not going to talk about them today.

From now own, I will not accept 'plastic bags' whenever I go shopping.

This is my contribution to the environment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment